Monday, October 11, 2010

A LETTER (By John McClelland)





John McClelland is the President of Stonewall Democrats of Denton County, on the Board of Directors of the Denton County Fresh Water Supply District 11-A, and an unapologetic fan and graduate from the University of North Carolina. He recently penned a letter to the Denton Record-Chronicle after this letter to the editor.



Dear Editor,

After reading letters such as the one from Eric Mach (Oct 11th), and subsequent hateful comments online, I feel the need to write this letter on National Coming Out Day.

I am gay.

Most people already know this, either by asking or seeing a sticker on my car. I am an elected official. I celebrated my 9th anniversary with my partner yesterday. We own a house, two cars, and some fish. I have a full time job and pay my taxes. I am a former Young Republican, Independent, and now unapologetic progressive Democrat. I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could.

For those of you with the views of Mr. Mach, please tell me what in that statement has destroyed your marriage with your wife, has lead to the fondling of your little girl, or has forced you stop praying on Sunday? I would venture to say with 100% certainty-- none of it! Yet, gay people such as myself are still subjected to the hateful spew of people who wish to associate us with pedophiles, death camp Communists, and the Grim Reaper.

I, like everyone else, is trying to live my life with the pursuit of happiness and freedom guaranteed to us by our Founding Fathers. But the lunatic fringe of the right will not allow it. They need to legislate: our bedroom, our bodies, and our souls. The Beck-Hannities of the planet apparently will not allow anyone to enjoy even their own most basic freedoms without making someone else's life miserable.

John McClelland

No comments: