Monday, April 5, 2010

JAMIE ESCALANTE (1930-2010)





On March 30, 2010, Jamie Escalante, an educator, passed away. His story of teaching inner city Los Angeles students AP Calculus was told in the 1988 movie Stand and Deliver. The national news reported about his legacy.

I remember having to watch this movie for both MATH AND SPANISH classes during my formative years in school. I know PBS showed it last year while I was studying for a Calc I test.

In a way how things are connected, do you want to know what I was doing on March 30? I was registering for Summer classes at UNT. The classes I am taking this summer: Math 2700 (Linear Algebra & Vector Geometry, a friend will be in my class) over 5W1, Math 2730 (Multivariable Calculus) over 5W2.

To meet the minimum twelve hours for full time student status, I had to fill in the schedule with two more classes. There were only two classes that I could find that met the minimum twelve hours AND revolved around my math classes.

Spanish 1010 (5W1) and 1020 (5W2)

No comments: