Tuesday, April 20, 2010

EVER SEEN A TWENTY DOLLAR BILL….. HIGH?



 

I am aware of what today is: April 20, AKA "420 Day".




I cannot count how many resolutions I found regarding trying to "Legalize It" while I was looking for resolutions to send up to county convention. All I can say is a best of luck…… especially here in Texas.

Now, me, I've never smoked the stuff. Don't really care to. I do not support the economic arguments that somehow legalizing cannabis would be that huge of a boom to our economy (Economic arguments for legalization, Link 1, Link 2, Link 3, Link 4). A projected $5 billion addition to an economy in the trillions? That would be like adding one cup (8 fl. oz.) of 40F water to a bathtub at 95F. Believe it or not, I agree with Jay Leno when he interviewed Bill Maher on his show last month when he made the point that in order to help the economy out you build/produce something for the common good (like, a highway). And these days there are not a lot of things I agree with Jay Leno on.

However, I am open to the de-criminalization (or at least lessen the penalties for it to where it doesn't haunt you for the rest of your life) of marijuana because I just don't see the point. All it does is take police away from actual work and bumping up their arrest statistics. We're putting people into jail for a relatively non-violent offense.

Now, if they are driving under the influence of marijuana or alcohol or even carrying something harder like say…. meth, cocaine, or heroin, different story. That stuff will (beep) you up! Honestly, what it all boils down to is actual education of drugs and alcohol instead of a campaign based on a buzz worthy slogan. ("Just Say No") There are many issues to think about than just a blanket, "Legalize it, man."

But enough of me talking, what is Family Guy's Stewie and Brian Griffin's opinion on marijuana?

No comments: