Wednesday, August 4, 2010

PERRY v. SCHWARZENEGGER RULING




I am temporarily breaking my sabbatical to comment about the Proposition 8 Ruling. I had this posting written up awaiting the announcement of this decision.
I made a promise to the LGBT Community that I would release a statement about this decision. That promise supersedes any sabbatical.
Upon conclusion of this posting, Michael’s Rant will return to its sabbatical. Barring any other major events (ex: World War III breaks out), I will have new postings up after August 16.





Today, the federal court in San Francisco issued a historic ruling regarding marriage equality (copy of the 138 page ruling).
I am pleased to hear that Proposition 8 was ruled unconstitutional via the equal protection and due process clauses of the 14th Amendment. I have expressed my feelings towards marriage equality in previous entries and I still stand by them because of the countless number of LGBT individuals that I know. This is a civil rights issue. The key civil rights issues of the 1950s and 1960s were not put up to a popular vote. Proposition 8 should not have passed. As a matter of fact, it should not have been placed on the ballot in the first place.
Consider the historical significance of this date: August 4.
On this date in 1961, a male child was born to a white mother and a black father in the United States. Their marriage was not legally recognized in 20 states (including Texas). In 1967, the United States Supreme Court in the landmark case of Loving v. Virginia UNANIMOUSLY ruled that laws banning interracial marriages were unconstitutional.
That boy grew up to be President of the United States.
I think Vice President Biden would have something to say about this ruling.
Not only was this decision reached by our constitutional principles, but it was a matter of the heart. Can you explain how and why two people come together in a very Hobbesian world and can have affection and love for each other? I have seen many examples of that in my brief time on this planet.
Love is just as irrational as π (pi) or e (Euler’s number = 2.71828…). You can’t explain it, there are many different ways to discuss it, and once you think you have it figured out, there’s more.

































I am pleased with this ruling because it positively impacts people that I care very deeply about. As a matter of fact, I have given My Word as a Man of Honor that if they obtain a marriage license in places that support marriage equality, I will dress up, hop on a flight, and attend the ceremony as a witness at the JP office. I will even PAY for the license as a wedding present. It would be the best investment I would ever make. (And if I EVER back out of that statement, PLEASE hold me accountable)
That was not Michael Watts LGBT Advocate speaking, but Michael Watts Human Being speaking. I know the importance of being at key moments in someone’s life because my dad and his sister showed up to my return from deployment.
I feel like I played a role in this ruling because I have shown support to the LGBT Community by speaking on a panel for the 40th Anniversary of Stonewall in Denton, writing a letter to the Texas Congressional Delegation in support of overturning Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, and taking the time to educate myself in their causes. Some people are surprised to learn that I am straight because of my level of knowledge about LGBT Issues. Having that knowledge about LGBT Issues is a part of MY history as an American. It has played a role in reaching out to people and making good friends.
I can tell my little cousins and the next generation that Michael Watts was part of the right side of history on August 4, 2010.
However (comma) this ruling does not mean we let up.
Those who are against this ruling will be coming back in full force.
And if you want someone on your side in a fight, I am that person.
Take the time to celebrate and savor this victory, but tomorrow we get back to work.
I expect that marriage equality will be heard before the Supreme Court before I turn 30 (October 29, 2013).
This ruling continues us on the path towards that more perfect union.


No comments: