Wednesday, March 27, 2013

LETTER REGARDING MARRIAGE EQUALITY (by Michael Watts)





This letter, authored by Michael Watts, is in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Dallas Morning News, and Lewisville Texan Journal.

Mr. Watts served in the United States Navy from 2002 to 2008 as a nuclear propulsion mechanical operator. He is currently a student at the University of North Texas pursuing a degrees in Mathematics and Political Science.


The Supreme Court is currently deciding the issue of same-sex marriage.

I am a terminally heterosexual Navy veteran and I support same-sex marriage.

I know several gay and lesbian veterans. We wore our country's uniform and took the same oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.

In 2008 I watched Marine Staff Sergeant Eric Alva's testimony to the House Armed Services Committee regarding "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," a policy that banned gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military until it was repealed in 2011. Sergeant Alva was the first Marine wounded in Iraq and received a Purple Heart.

He is also openly gay.

If gays and lesbians can serve in our armed forces and if necessary make the ultimate sacrifice, then surely we can allow them to marry the person they love.

In addition, I have gay family members; one on my mother's side and one on my father's side. I strongly believe in their equal rights because they are people that I deeply care about.

I am standing on the right side of history, and I encourage my fellow Texans to join me.

Michael Watts
Veteran, US Navy 2002-08
Denton, TX


No comments: