Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" REPEAL IS CLOSE....



December 18, 2010 10:36 AM CT


INVOKE CLOTURE ≥ 60 VOTES

YEA
NAY
NV
TOTAL
63
33
4
DEM
57*
0
1
GOP
6
33
3
*Includes two independents

The motion to invoke cloture passes….

LATER THAT DAY….

December 18, 2010 2:02 PM CT


MAJORITY ≥ 51 VOTES
IN THE EVENT OF A TIE (50 VOTES), THE VICE-PRESIDENT CASTS THE TIE-BREAKING VOTE.

YEA
NAY
NV
TOTAL
65
31
4
DEM
57*
0
1
GOP
8
31
3
*Includes two independents

The yeas have it, 65-31. The motion passes….


STATEMENT:

I apologize for the lateness in my reply. At the time of the vote I was in Austin visiting with my mother and some friends of my roommate.

Anyways…

“This year, I will work with Congress and our military to finally repeal the law that denies gay Americans the right to serve the country they love because of who they are. It's the right thing to do.”- President Barack Obama, 27 January 2010

We did it!

Later today at 8AM (CT), President Barack Obama will sign the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” Repeal Act of 2010.

Again… we did it!

To those that rallied, wrote letters, and made phone calls: thank you.

It was a difficult, but we did it!

The stories I have heard about our LGBT service members and the people I have met struck a chord in this Navy veteran’s heart. I have expressed this point over and over again: they wore the same uniform and stood the same watch that I did.

That is all that matters to me and should to everyone else.

Our LGBT service members served their country with the same devotion to selfless duty, honor and distinction, displays of recognizable courage, and an unyielding loyalty to the Constitution of the United States of America that ALL of our nation’s veterans have in our nation’s history ranging from the Revolutionary War to those currently standing the watch today.

The only label I bestow on our LGBT service members is that of this:

VETERAN

No comments: