Saturday, October 23, 2010

MEWSETTE (SEPTEMBER 1, 1994 – OCTOBER 23, 2010)



 
Mewsette passed away today at home. Her little kitty kidneys gave out. I took her to the vet earlier today and they said she did not have much time left. I took her home and cuddled with her on the couch for one last day on Earth with her. Even though she passed on, I am glad that it was at home with me.

She was born on September 1, 1994 in Irving, TX to a litter of kittens. Her mother was Maggie Elizabeth, a cat that my grandmother adopted. Maggie and her kittens were discovered in my Uncle David’s neighborhood by my grandmother Mary.

Mewsette was unique in many different ways. She was the runt of the litter. My mom, sister, and I got to take home two kittens: Mewsette and her sister Purrcilla. We lived in the Fox Glenn house together.


What made getting through my teenage years for me was Mewsette. She was non-judgmental. Even though she enjoyed her hiding spots in the house, at night I would hear her scratch at my bedroom door wanting to come in. It was disallowed to have the cat in my room, but I enjoyed her company. Sometimes Mewsette would curl up with Mom on the couch while she got in the little sleep before going to work.

I left for the Navy in 2002. Every time that I came home on leave, I always made time for Mewsette. She was scared of me because I was a stranger to her, but seeing her and knowing that she was OK was important to me.

Mewsette lived with my mom until 2008 when she moved to Austin. She lived with my sister for a couple of months.

In April 2009, I moved to Denton. There were talks that Mewsette would come live with me. I was concerned because of her age and that she was not going to be around for long. Finally that July, Mewsette came to live with me.


The first few days were strange because it was weird having another living creature in my apartment. Eventually we got a feel for each other. She did her cat stuff and I did my stuff. I was kind of over protective of her because I did not want her to feel like she was being abandoned when I went on some of my political road trips, but eventually I grew out of it. She was a cat, and she would be fine. When I came home, she was there like I was never gone.

 

I enjoyed her company. She was a very unique cat. I made sure that every day that she was loved and made to feel special.

I literally worshiped that cat. She went by a lot of names, but the one name she truly lived up to was Queen Alpha Kitty.

I was glad that she came and lived with me. She comforted me when I needed it.

I have had a lot of disappointments in the last year, but Mewsette was never one of them.


LONG LIVE THE QUEEN

3 comments:

Actors Online said...

What a beautiful kitty. I know she meant a lot to you, so I feel your pain. Losing a pet is losing a member of the family. May you find comfort in these many happy memories.

Marilia said...

I'm sorry, Michael! I think it's awesome that you wrote an obit for your cat, since I also wrote one for my dog, who also died when she was sixteen. I think that if people go to heaven, animals surely do, since in many ways they are better than us.

Crow said...

You gave her three exquisite gifts: a good life while she was with you, a peaceful, loving end to her earth-bound existence, and a lovely eulogy. Would all pussy-cats be blessed this way.