Monday, October 11, 2010

A LUCKY ONE (By Isidro Gonzales)




Isidro Gonzales has been very involved in Democratic politics since he was able to vote. Mr. Gonzales received his bachelors in Political Science from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin and has utilized it in various political circles.

In April 2010 at the Texas Young Democrats Convention in Austin, he was elected Vice-Chair of the Texas Young Democrats Stonewall Caucus and is actively pursuing the creation of new Stonewall Young Democrat chapters across the state including one in the very Conservative area of West Texas. Within Stonewall, he has been involved in various issues concerning the LGBT Community such as advocating for anti-bullying legislation, increases in rights towards same-sex couples, and the ending of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”

Mr. Gonzales ultimate goal is to become the second openly gay Latino person to be elected to high office.

Here is the Queer Wing Man’s story:



A LUCKY ONE
by Isidro Gonzales

Looking back now; that it’s been thirteen years since coming out, I can now say that it was silly to think that I was going to be yet another sad statistic. You know the one which says that most people get kicked out of the house and their family disowns them when they come out to them. But if you asked me back then, you would have found a very scared and much confused twenty-three year old.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I had been out to several of my friends for years but they all happened to be gay so it wasn’t that big of a deal. The big deal was telling my family, especially my father. Coming from a Catholic home, where the Church teaches that it’s wrong to be homosexual didn’t make it any better, but after five years of living totally in the closet towards my family I decided enough was enough.


I remember the night as if it was yesterday. I had gone to the movies with my friends; the movie was In and Out which starred Kevin Kline as a gay teacher that gets outed by one of former students. Well it wasn’t the movie per se that triggered the process, it was what happened afterward. It turned out that two of my friends had recently gotten together and I had wanted a boyfriend; a companion for years. That right there really got to me so I asked to be taken home.

As I was taken home I couldn’t hold back the tears as I was both sad and frustrated. When I did get home the water works just came flooding out. I didn’t really know what to do so I called my other friend and I began to vent and gush out all of frustrations and worries. I think I must have been a little too loud because when I turned around my father was standing there asking what was wrong. My eyes got wide and I simply said that nothing was wrong but he continued to press on, even suggesting that I speak to my aunt about this; to which I agreed.

Now let me back track a little on this story, if you are wondering where my mother is in all of this; well she passed away when I was nine and it had been just my father raising since then. My aunt which was my mother’s sister in law, actually chipped in as a surrogate mother. Well, needless to say, the next day I went to see her and I just spilled my guts; telling her everything including that I was gay.

What she said next really surprised me as she commenced to tell me that she knew; that the entire family suspected it and that it was okay. She then gave me a hug and asked if I needed her there with me when I told my dad. I immediately agreed. I mean it turned out simple with her but I wasn’t too sure about my dad.

So the next day my aunt and I sat my father down and I began to tell him what had been bothering me. I started to cry as I told him I was gay. The reaction I received was nothing that I was expecting as instead of him getting angry he hugged me instead. He told me that it didn’t matter, I was his son and that was what was important. He also said that he loved me regardless.

Oddly enough though my story isn’t quite like those of others that I heard of or even my some of friends most of them actually got kicked out and denied the love that I was given so freely. I count myself one of the lucky ones. I guess that’s why my heart goes out to those that aren’t as fortunate as I was thirteen years ago. To all those that are shunned or bullied, to all those that are laughed at or ridiculed and to all those that are afraid to be themselves know that I was once in that very place; afraid of the unknown. But know this, this too shall pass and believe it or not…

IT DOES GET BETTER!!


No comments: