Thursday, March 3, 2011

MAKES YOU THINK






On Tuesday Night, I picked up the cat from my sister. She watched Tristan for me while I was in Vegas.

When I filled up on gas at the local fill-up station in Denton, I noticed that I had a burnt out headlight. I knew that it would eventually get me attention from a police officer.

Sure enough, as I drove down south on 35W towards my sister’s place in Tarrant County, I was pulled over by the Argyle Police Department.

When I pulled over, I turned on my hazards and kept my hands on the steering wheel. When asked, I gave the officer my license and proof of insurance. I let the officer know that my insurance information was in the glove box. I was courteous and polite to the officer as he was to me.

The officer told me to get that fixed as soon as possible and let me go with a warning.

As I drove away, I thought to myself, “If I had done exactly what I had done interacting with the officer as someone other than a white male, would I have been given the same courtesy and treatment?”

I still do not have an answer to that question.

Again, makes you think.

No comments: