Thursday, March 3, 2011

HOW WAS YOUR WEEKEND?




So…. How was my loyal followers’ past weekend?

Mine?



I went to Vegas for a Young Democrats of America meeting. I left Denton at 7PM on Thursday and drove there. It was Denton County Young Democrats President George Nassar, Stonewall Democrats of Denton County Secretary Stacey Langley, and I that made the drive. We had some entertaining discussions in the car.

On Saturday, I went to a caucus about Global Politics and what can progressives learn worldwide from each other. There was a good group from The Netherlands. Also, one of the members of the panel was from Canada. I wanted to discuss with our northern neighbour about common issues that we face on both sides of the border, but I did not get that chance.

Let’s see….

Then I attended the Labor Caucus meeting chaired by the YDA Labor Caucus Chair and the importance of supporting labor. The guest speakers were from a local culinary union. They gave us a list of hotels in the area that did not have unionized workers. I brought up the point that this is using your wallet as a voice of activism. I also asked the question about some of the concerns that the hospitality union raised when Charlotte was chosen as the site of the 2012 DNC. The answer I received from a person of interest was that even though Minneapolis was a guarantee of union support (and that person would have preferred to have gone to a location with a guarantee), the thought was that using the arrival of the DNC would motivate people to organize like with Denver back in 2008. Also, from what I have been reading, politics played a role in the DNC going to Charlotte. North Carolina went for a Democrat for the first time since 1976 and the party may use that city as a way of expanding the map for President Obama’s re-election.

After that, Stacey and I attended the South Central Regional Caucus meeting where I stood up and told the group that we, in Texas, are looking forward to having the region convene in Austin of a Texas Young Democrats-South Central Region Young Democrats of America Joint Convention on April 1-3.

Then, Stacey and I got married.

After that, we started the long drive back to Texas and-

YOU DID… WHAT?!

Yeah… I got married.

If there are any questions about this partnership, you know how to reach us.

Anyways, life really has not changed that much since our nuptials in Vegas. Still going to school; still writing this blog; still doing the political stuff.

No comments: