Thursday, July 15, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HELMET



Today is the Fifth Birthday of The Helmet.




I encountered The Helmet in Rhodes. At first I did not want to buy it, but there was something special about this piece. Earlier I had encountered a suit of armor in Dubai. I passed it up because it was impracticable in both transport and cost (most importantly cost).


But The Helmet, there was something special about it. I needed something to commemorate my seven month deployment. At the time in my naval career, I was not sure if this was going to be the only deployment I was going to do.

I had gotten gifts from my port calls for other people, but I rarely got something special for me. Generally, I got a hat and pictures but there was something missing from this journey.

Sure I have my Dug The Ditch, Shellback, and Order of Magellan certificates BUT I needed something to commemorate this journey.

That is why I purchased The Helmet because it was a symbol to what I had accomplished. I had done something that not too many people can say they have done: circumnavigated the globe, operated a nuclear power plant, seen the flames from the oil platforms on the horizon in the Persian Gulf at night, or witness a sunrise/sunset in the middle of the ocean.

I cannot explain any more why I have The Helmet in my possession.

I can only sum up with how I feel about The Helmet with one statement:

"The Helmet is cool."

No comments: