Sunday, June 2, 2013

IT'S A BLOODY CARTOON PEOPLE!!




So the misnamed National Organization for Marriage (NOM) is manufacturing " outrage" over this new cartoon set to air on the cable channel The Hub. The cartoon is called SheZow with the premise of a 12 year boy who finds a magic ring that transforms him into a superhero who is a girl.

I had to check my TV listings. Yup... apparently, I get that channel.

Here are the cartoons I used to watch as a kid: the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies shorts, Tom and Jerry, the Disney cartoon shorts, Batman The Animated Series, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I also watched The Simpsons back when it was controversial and finally put the struggling little Fox network on the map.




Today, "The Simpsons" are tame in comparison to the other animated programs that air on television (Archer, South Park, Cartoon Network's [adult swim]).


Ask yourself this: would you let your kids watch any animated program saying "Executive Producer: Seth MacFarlane"?


If you answer yes, you are a bad parent.

And that is coming from someone who doesn't have kids.

Here are my television habits: sports, news, primetime animated programs, documentaries, and whatever is in my Netflix queue. I could care less what is on The Hub.

However, let me wield my opinion on NOM going after a children's cartoon.

First, who remembers the outrage that Jerry Falwell expressed over the Teletubbies? I do. Dear sweet baby Jesus...



I don't think their target audience (VERY small children) are aware of gender and sexuality issues that are prevalent in our society. And again.... he was getting upset over a CHILDREN'S PROGRAM!


There are two cartoons from my childhood that I'd like to discuss. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was about a bunch of mutated turtles that practiced martial arts in order to fight crime, lived in a sewer with their sensei who was a rat, and eat pizza. Take a guess which of those things I do.




Or better yet: the Looney Tunes.






NOM, here is some friendly advice. I normally don't dispense advice to you, but in your case you need it.

There is this magical device that allows you to control what images you see on the television.

Try using it sometime.


No comments: