Tuesday, August 18, 2020

HEY MR. POSTMAN, LOOK AND SEE


I love the Post Office.

I loved getting care packages while I was on deployment over 15 years ago and that tradition of active duty service members getting something – a book, extra socks, movies, a homemade card from a family member – continues on to this day.

I still enjoy receiving mail from family members; I just recently received a card from my niece who told me about her cat and reaching a new achievement in Taekwondo.

The one piece of mail I remember most was receiving my vote in 2004 and continuing the proud tradition of service members casting their ballot that began during the Civil War.

Whatever it is called, I requested a mail-in vote from Texas because I had a reason to be out of the state – I was in the Navy. Texas sent me a ballot to the USS Carl Vinson while she was moored pier side at Naval Station Base Kitsap in Bremerton, WA in the fall of 2004. I filled out the ballot by my rack. I went down to the ship’s post office and mailed the ballot back to my state.

Today I live in a mail-in state, Colorado.

I support any efforts to increase efforts to get more Americans access to the ballot box. I believe that mail-in combined with in-person voting is great way to strengthen our democracy.

And I find it disgusting of the Trump administration efforts’ through the use of his personal puppet Louis DeJoy to dismantle the postal service in order to sew more doubts into if this election will be a fair and free election. Trump is attempting to put a massive thumb on the scales in order to achieve the desire he is delusional about.

The reason why he lost the popular vote is because of illegal voting in California, or that voting by mail increases the incidents of voter fraud, or that the kids are stealing ballots from the mail boxes.

No, no, and no

Mr. Trump, if you are so concerned about voting by mail, then why are YOU voting by mail?

No comments: