Thursday, September 6, 2018

SILENCE IS NOT AN OPTION



Why I chose to confront family members about voting for Trump and why I and many others need to keep speaking out


I have family members that voted for this nightmare and are proud they did so

Back in May I finally confronted them about it. I do not know exactly what finally moved me to do so but I felt compelled because as time went on there would come something that would force my hand to speak out.

These people are both on my mother’s side and live in Texas. I am aware that Texas was a safe red state in the last presidential election but I was in disbelief that given how this presidency would impact people close to them – my mother who is in the health care industry, an aunt who is gay and had her relationship recognized nationally three years ago, another aunt who is a teacher in the Denver area, and my sister and her daughter – they still voted for Trump despite:

1.     Vowing to repeal ObamaCare on Day 1
2.     Selecting Mike Pence as his vice-president who had a strong anti-LGBTQ resume in his time as Indiana Governor
3.     Saying that John McCain was only a hero because he was captured and saying he liked people who weren’t captured
4.     Insulting a Gold Star Family who spoke at the Democratic National Convention
5.     Being the chief cheerleader for the birther conspiracy, the nonsense that Barack Obama was not born in this country
6.     Saying that he would lock up his political opponent, Hillary Clinton
7.     Mocked a disabled reporter
8.     Bragged about sexual assault in a tape released in
9.     And, in his campaign announcement speech in June 2015, declared that Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers as well as many other dog whistle statements on the campaign trail

One of them said she voted for him in the best interests of her family to which I confronted her with does family include those that living in Colorado and my sister, her fiancé, and their family.

I got no answer which tells me what I need to know what matters to her most of all: only the people within her home in the safe suburban sprawl and no one else

I told them the equivalent of a pox on their houses which was they and their husbands (who also likely voted Trump) can go fuck themselves and when they get unfucked, they can contact me again.

I suspected that they did not like that since in their view, I am still a child and not allowed to challenge their authority

Funny thing is that in less than two months I meet the minimum age to run for US president. I don’t know where these people have been for the last 17 years but it clearly is not versed in any reality.

I finally confronted them because this nightmare of an administration will end one day either by Trump’s impeachment and forcible removal from office, his resignation, him losing re-election in 2020, or God forbid, him serving two full terms and leaving office on 20 January 2025.

History will judge Trump voters and supporters very harshly for I intend to be one of those judges. Even towards my own blood relatives.

But history will also be harsh to those who remained silent whether it was for the sake of family unity, compromise, those who lacked the courage to speak out, or those who did not speak out due to indifference

I must continue to speak out for my own legacy. You must speak out.

We must all speak out

Because the other option is not acceptable

No comments: