Tuesday, June 25, 2013

#STANDWITHWENDY



I sent in why I stand with State Senator Davis (D, SD-10) in her efforts to block the passage of Texas's anti-abortion bill, SB-5.

                                               
My name is Michael Watts. I am a student at the University of North Texas in Denton and I served for 6 years in the US Navy. My State Representative is Myra Crownover and my State Senator is Jane Nelson.

I have a mother, sister, niece, many aunts and their daughters, both of grandmothers, and many women friends. I find these anti-choice measures deplorable. Members of the Texas House that voted against abortion in cases of rape and incest on Sunday night should be ashamed of themselves.

To those who are in favor of this bill: Why does this matter to you? It is not my place to tell a woman and anyone else what to do with their body.

I have an aunt who lives in Senator Davis's district. Sadly she is represented by Representative Stickland in the State House, who was one of the persons to vote against abortion in cases of rape and incest. My aunt finds it ridiculous that we are still having these discussions in the year 2013 when Griswold v. Connecticut, Roe v. Wade (1973), and Planned Parenthood v. Casey (settled this issue.

We have real issues in this state such as roads, energy, water and environment, public education, and improving access to health care. Let's stop with this nonsense and start solving the real problems that Texans are facing.


Thank you.

No comments: